How To Be Human

I recently heard a comment; 'You're not like a Duck'. It was not directed at me, it was a comment made to someone I know by another someone I know. The recipient didn't understand the comment and in that lack of understanding, perpetuated the exact behavior that makes this person, well, not like a Duck.
It is absolute that we are our own worst enemies and sometimes to a point where we are blind to who we really are. But is this always our own fault? How much of our dark side is the result of our subconscious response to implicit bias? For the sake of this writing I will call said person, K.
What if K is suffering from implicit bias leveled on them because K is the youngest in the office and only one of two of K's gender.
It can be overwhelming to have to exist in a world where you believe emphatically that you have to exercise some level of superiority in order to feel accepted and worthy.
 In K's case it's not actually that simple.
Instead of just being being kind and doing the best each day; K feels a title will make all inadequacies go away and in some way validate.
K, by nature is an angry person, basically miserable all the time. K is treated in the office by most of the workers as a kid who knows nothing and is frequently disregarded because of a dramatic age difference and years of service gap. 
I wonder if K's obsession with being in charge is a subconscious response to the implicit bias that is practiced in this workplace.
Does K believe that one word, 'Lead' added to one's title will elevate status and therefore create a sense of equality or even dare I say superiority to those who disregard K?
Or is the anger simply a response to always having to step up and never be recognized for the effort? And why is K not recognized? Is it because K is being judged by age, that K is simply too young to have anything of value to bring to the table? Hard to say really, but I can't imagine working in a world where everyone, whether consciencely or subconsciously are always judging because you are young and inexperienced.
I am, like everyone guilty of implicit bias. I watch people walk through the door of our workplace and think from the way they are dressed, or carrying themselves that I can guess what it is they are coming in for.
I look at what they have in their hands and can tell what they want from me. I know who is sincere and who is not. So, before they even approached me I have ascertained if they will be trouble.
I watch K walk in each morning with an expression of disappointment lurking just below the surface. I feel that disappointment seeping out into K's day. I've given words of encouragement but they fall on deaf ears as K's rolls the eyes at me.
I want to give the instigators of piece of my mind, but I know they won't  respect( because bias tells me they are closed minded) what I have to say.
So I say what I can in my usual passive aggressive way at every opportunity and continue about my day allowing my own biases to kick in and run the show.
I think of the kids having to March for their right to a safe education and the adult creeps who dare criticize them.
I hate those adults and assume they are ignorant and there goes that bias kicking in again, I disagree with those adults so they must be wrong.
I do believe that some good comes out of bias. It gives us an opportunity to hone are people reading skills, we can raise or lower ourselves to another person's level to relate and accomplish the task at hand.
But how do we know what level they're on? In the few seconds it takes someone to approach we have to have made our judgments and assumptions so that we can successfully interact, and that is implicit bias, even though we use it with good intentions. Bias can also save our lives when we encounter people that,for superficial reasons make us cautious so we walk the other way or not open the door.
I guess implicit bias is so much a part of who we are and so unique to each that it shapes our identity  and how we cope and interact with the world around us.
As awful as it is implicit bias will forever remain a part of being human.

Definition:
An implicit stereotype, or implicit bias, is the unconscious attribution of particular qualities to a member of a certain social group. ... Implicit stereotypes are an aspect of implicit social cognition, the phenomenon that perceptions, attitudes, and stereotypes operate without conscious intention.

Comments

Popular Posts