Paws Upon My Path

My Dazey Diggins
 
 
For those of you who follow my blog and admin page and for those of you who know me in personal life, are aware that my passion is to end the plight of Animals dying in Shelters, Animal Fighting, Abuse and Cruelty on any level.
My path began back in the very early nineties when I found myself needing some extra money and began a part time job at a local private boarding kennel near the city in which I lived.
While at the kennel I apprenticed under behaviorists, groomers and trainers and had the distinct honor of working the dogs who formed the county's K-9 unit in the capacity of kennel attendant.
I realized that I had an ability to work with dogs who suffered from behavioral disabilities. From here I sprang forth and apprenticed everywhere I could with every professional I could and went on to conduct a five year independent research into the effects of nutrition in the areas of train ability and behavior in canines. I took this into my next phase of managing a chain of pet food supply stores and working with county and local law enforcement to determine vicious dog cases and eventually worked as a Vet. Tech Assistant for the Humane Society.
During these years of great joy and great agony, I met my Dazey Diggins (the above).
Dazey was at the local shelter ear marked for euth. because she was deemed unadoptable. She had been born one of only two pups to a dirtbag dog fighter and drug dealer. At three months old her only sibling was crushed to death by this monster. When the Authorities came upon Dazey she had been living in a crate and was so starved she was eating her own waste and her blinding white coat was stained with urine and feces and she of course was full of injuries. She was very hyper.
I was asked if I might be willing to take her on and work with  her. I knew that there was no saying no or she would die and there was no bringing her home and failing or she would die. The only response was Yes.
When I first Met Dazey she was a mess! A cat housed at the shelter got lose and climbed into her unit and attacked her. Dazey had gashes and claw marks all over her delicate pink face, her turquoise colored collar was filthy and frayed and she had a dolly, it was a small white teddy bear that she treated gently and gingerly. When I opened the unit door she dove for me and showered me with kisses and I knew this was forever. I put her and the teddy bear in my car and took her home.
I put Dazey through my own unique and rigorous training and behavior modification using all of the resources I had at my disposal and all of my knowledge.
Dazey and I were inseparable and I even took her to work with me.
Dazey never completely grew out of her hyper activity, but I kept her lavished in toys and activities and she had her own social circle, her life with me rivaled that of an American fifth grader!
I made an obstacle course in an unused field behind our apartment.
Dazey was with me many long years before she passed. At one point she and I became part of a larger family when we adopted this guy I married and his German Shepard Dog, my beloved Jazmine and then we added Gracie, a mixed breed from the Shelter and a Savannah Monitor Lizard named Smaugie.
So long ago, all of the above mentioned have passed on or moved on, but I remember them all in my heart and my soul as though they are right here in the room with me.
Dazey grew to be the comedienne in our home and her pure innocence gave us moments of gut splitting laughter and countless tears of joy were shed at how she came so close the a painful end alone in a shelter after knowing nothing but pain and torment.
Dazey passed peacefully in the arms of my [then] husband surrounded by loved ones.
I am so sorry Dazey that my eyes were not the last you saw or my arms the ones who held you in that final moment, I couldn't be the one because I loved you too much and as I write this memoir of you I am in agony because I miss you still.
I honor Dazeys memory through my efforts to end the suffering of Shelter Animals and to put an end to cruelty and abuse.
I love you, I miss you and I honor your memory to all of my babes who are no longer with me;
Dazey Diggins
My Miss Molly
Gracie Gracie
Jazmine Joan
Rupels
Ted. E. Bear
Honey Doggers,
 The Dragon Smaug
Sargent
The above mentioned Dirt bag who abused Dazey and murdered her sibling got five years in prison for Animal Cruelty
 
 




Comments

Popular Posts