Face To Face

Last night I had the pleasure of attending an event for transitioning adults.
I sat at a table with four fascinating men, one was my friend, Brad whom I have written about here in the past and three other gentlemen, one of from Ethiopia, one from Kenya and one from Nigeria.
The man from Nigeria, I will call 'D', was kind enough to talk with me about the plight of his nation under the rule of tyranny.
As my blog followers know I have written about Nigerian Scams and their impact on our world.
Having the opportunity to speak with D was very special because as much as Law and Justice are my passions so is my passion for the truth and we all know there are three sides to every story, yours, theirs and the truth.
 I told D that I discovered his nation has a 25% unemployment rate and he told me that was a lie!
I asked him was it not that bad and he replied; "No it is much worse!"
He began to tell me about how Military rule has crippled his country and how most of the people do without basic necessities such as electricity...something we Americans take for granted, but that the political rulers are preventing modernization and promoting suppression of it's most important and most precious commodity...it's people.
We touched on the Nigerian Scams and he told me a bit about how they worked and how they came to be and that some of the scams are performed on behalf of the Ruling factions to line their pockets.
No matter who is charge of a nation, the ruler be it a King, an Emperor, a President or Prime Minister, if you have no people...no people who support you freely and not out of fear then you have nothing of importance to rule.
Now, I have never been to Nigeria and like most Americans only have what I can research to base my conclusions on, but I saw in his eyes an anger that sent a chill through me. He was not angry at me oh no the anger and hurt in his eyes came from somewhere is his past, from the place of his birth, from a long ago forgotten boy who came into this world born to a nation that has let him down.
We as Americans freely voice our opinions and needs because we are given that right as a free people, but we must never forget  not all are free and that for all of the technology and forward thinking that moves now effortlessly through our daily lives, there are still entire nations of people living under criminal rule with no way out.
Will this plight of suppressed nations ever end? Who is responsible for fixing it? Is this all about Free Will choice? Will we live to see not simply a nation of free people but an entire world of freedom? These are questions that have no concrete answers, just more questions.

Comments

Popular Posts